Roasted Quail in Tree Tomato - BBQ Sauce with Creamy Cauliflower Puree and Chinese Cabbage Ball
Recipe serves: 1
- Cooking time
- BBQ sauce
- 2 to 3 Tree tomatoes, pulp
- 50 ml Highlife sherry
- 60 ml BBQ sauce
- Bunch of fresh thyme
- Royco, little brown sugar
- Whole green chili
- Cauliflower puree
- Cauliflower, boiled and blended
- Stick of butter
- Little cream
- Salt to taste
- Chinese cabbage
- One large whole leaf of Chinese cabbage
- 5 - 6 leaves of Chinese cabbage, shredded
- 1 tsp. onion, chopped
- Little minced garlic
- Little thyme, plucked off the stalk
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- Little royco
- In a pot over moderate heat, add in the sherry and allow to reduce by half.
- Add in the tree tomato after blending it, and passing through a strainer then add in the bbq sauce.
- Once the mixture starts to boil, reduce the heat then add in the royco, brown sugar and a whole piece of chili. Stir occasionally with the bunch of thyme. Cook very gently avoiding the sauce from sticking at the bottom of the pan until it thickens. Set aside to cool.
- Cut the quail into half, wash well and pat it down to get rid of any excess water.
- Season with salt and pepper and brown it on a hot pan with a little oil. Coat with the bbq sauce and finish off in a preheated oven for 5 – 8 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Once the cauliflower is boiled to soft in salt water, drain the water, add the butter, and blend to a puree. Return to the heat, add the cream and simmer to thicken the puree stirring occasionally. Season with salt.
- In another clean pan, add a little olive oil, toss in the onions and cook lightly. Add the garlic and cook further. Add the shredded cabbage and thyme. Toss very lightly leaving the cabbage still crunchy. Season accordingly.
- Cut the pith off the whole cabbage leaf and dip into boiling water for 5 seconds to make it limp.
- Spread over cling film, and stuff with the tossed, shredded cabbage. Join the ends for the whole leaf together and using the cling film, roll into a tight ball.
- Serve everything hot with caramelized baby onions and whole roasted garlic.