Red Beef Stew
- Recipe serves: 10
- Preparation time 20 min
- Cooking time 60 min
- 3 Tbsp. (45 ml) of oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 kg of beef, cubed
- 2 tsp. (10 ml) of ajwain seeds, crushed (or dried thyme if ajwain seeds are not available)
- 2 tsp. (10 ml) of fresh ginger, crushed
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) of turmeric
- 5 very ripe tomatoes, blended
- 2 tsp. (10 ml) of Royco Beef Mchuzi mix
- 3 cups (750 ml) of water
- 1 cup (250 ml) of thick cream (whole cream) OR natural yogurt (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in the pan. Add the onions and fry until golden. Add the cubed beef. Fry until well- browned and slightly crunchy on the edges.
- Add ajwain, ginger and turmeric to the same pan (with a little oil if needed). Stir until infused aroma is released.
- Add the blended tomatoes. Cook until reduced and thick.
- Mix the Royco Mchuzi Mix with 1 cup of water and stir. Add to the beef. Add the rest of the water and stir. Cover and bring to a boil then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cream or yogurt (if using). Season with salt and pepper. Stir and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Serve with ugali.
- For more decadent beef recipes just like this one,click here.