Spicy Pork Balls in Mushroom Sauce
Recipe serves: 10
- Cooking time
- ½ tsp. (2.5 ml) mustard seeds
- ½ tsp. (2.5 ml) cumin seeds
- ½ tsp. (2.5 ml) fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) black pepper, crushed
- ½ kg minced pork (lean)
- 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) finely chopped (fresh) coriander
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) wheat flour
- 1 packet Knorr mushroom sauce
- 1 cup (250 ml) oil for shallow frying
- 1 small bunch of fresh coriander to garnish
- Mortar and pestle (or electric spice grinder)
- Calibrated jug
- Place ingredients 1-4 in a pan. Dry roast until they start to smoke. Place in a mortar and pestle and grind into a coarse powder.
- Place the pork mince in a bowl. Add the crushed spices, coriander, garlic and lemon juice. Mix thoroughly.
- Form the mince into balls, (to make about 20). Roll the balls lightly in wheat flour and shake off excess flour.
- Heat the shallow frying oil in a pan until hot. Cook the balls in batches of ten, turning occasionally, until golden brown and crunchy on the outside and cooked inside (about 5 minutes).
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan, boil 250 ml water. Empty the contents of the mushroom sauce in a jug and add the boiling water. Stir for 1 minute.
- Serve the balls in bowls. Drizzle mushroom sauce over them. Sprinkle fresh dhania and serve. Serve with rice or spaghetti.