Sweet And Spicy Chicken Curry
- Recipe serves: 4
- Preparation time 15 min
- Cooking time 60 min
- 3 Tbsp. (45 ml) cooking oil
- 1 whole chicken, cut into portions
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red or green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves (sliced)
- 1 -2 fresh green or red chillies, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) curry powder
- 2 Tbsp. of Chicken Royco Mchuzi Mix
- 1 x 410 g tin tomatoes, chopped (or 3 large tomatoes)
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- ¼ cup (125 ml) apricot jam
- 1 cup (250 ml) frozen peas
- ½ cup (125 ml) freshly chopped dhania (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Brown the chicken pieces a few at a time. Remove the chicken from the pan and fry the onions, green pepper, garlic and chillies until soft.
- Add the curry powder and fry for a minute.
- Return the chicken pieces to the saucepan; add the tomatoes, water and jam. Stir well, cover and let it simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Dissolve the Royco Mchuzi Mix in a little cold water and add to the stew. Add the frozen peas and cook for a further five minutes until heated through.
- If you’ve opted to add fresh dhania to your dish, stir it in and serve.
- This delicious and fragrant Sweet and Spicy Chicken Curry can be served with a generous helping of ugali, pasta or rice.
- For a tasty assortment of quick and easy dinner recipes, click here.