Fried pecan okra
Recipe serves: 4
- Cooking time
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose baking mix
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Peanut oil
- 2 (10-oz.) packages frozen whole okra, thawed
- Place pecans in an even layer in a shallow pan.
- Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring occasionally.
- Process pecans, baking mix, and next 2 ingredients in a food processor until pecans are finely ground.
- Place pecan mixture in a large bowl. Add okra, tossing to coat.
- Gently press pecan mixture into okra.
- Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches into a Dutch oven or cast-iron skillet; heat to 350.
- Fry okra, in batches, turning once, 5 to 6 minutes or until golden; drain on paper towels.
- 1 (16-oz.) package frozen cut okra, thawed, may be substituted.