Chicken-fried steak with redeye gravy
Recipe serves: 4
- Cooking time
- 4 120g rib-eye steaks
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Royco Beef CubesCrumbled
- 2 cups buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- Redeye Gravy
- Place steaks between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and flatten to 1/4-inch thickness, using flat side of a meat mallet.
- Lightly pound steak, using textured side of meat mallet. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap, and chill 1 hour.
- Combine flour and next 3 ingredients in a bowl.
- Whisk together eggs and next 2 ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Sprinkle both sides of steaks with salt, black pepper and crumbled Royco Beef Cubes.
- Dip steaks in egg mixture, and dredge in flour mixture, shaking off excess.
- Repeat procedure two more times.
- Fry steaks, 1 at a time, in hot oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 4 to 6 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Drain on a wire rack in a jellyroll pan.
- Serve with gravy.